Minutes of the LVRA monthly meeting Monday 8th January 2018

David Rhodes

Minutes of the LVRA Meeting: 20.00 hrs. on Monday, 08 January 2018 at the Top Club

Present: David Hempsall (Secretary), Bob Nicholas (Footpaths Officer), Darryl Nugent (Treasurer); Barbara Ashworth, Julian Ashworth, Richard Ball, Cllr Alyson Barnes, Ian Booth, Ian Cardy, John Dawson, Stephen Glenholmes, Michael Howard, Lewis Pearson, Frank Pilkington, Neil Prestwich, James Riley, Eric Walton, Ann White and Chris Whiting.

In attendance: Chris Ainsworth, Stanley Ainsworth, John McGauley [non-residents].

1.        Opening Remarks – Apologies – Thanks

1.1 Bob took the Chair in the absence of Karen who was unwell.

1.2 Apologies were received from Karen Hawden (Chair), David Rhodes (Liaison and Social Media Officer); Ann Corkin, David Corkin, Michael Dop, Cllr David Foxcroft, Barbara Gerken and Barbara Walton.

2.        Minutes of previous Meeting, 11 December 2017

2.1 Ian proposed and Eric seconded acceptance of the Minutes.

2.2 The Minutes were taken as a true record.

3.        Matters Arising

3.3.1 Ullswater Way – There being local residents present, the matter was deferred.

3.3.2 Break-ins – Lewis reported a break-in and the theft of two pairs of walking boots and domestic items from a house on the west side of Burnley Road to the north of the patch.

3.6 St John’s – Richard thought that matters had progressed not at all further to the previous meeting; the building being listed, its maintenance and upkeep remained the responsibility of the Church Commissioners until it was sold.

4.        Reports

4.1      Chairman – no report was forthcoming.

4.2      Secretary

4.2.1 David said that the preceding month had been quiet with routine correspondence – and especially that emanating from Futures Park on planning applications – being forwarded to officers for their consideration and action.

4.2.2 Issue 16 of the Limey Leader had attracted a great deal of comment, especially two items: (a) the item of on Richard and Odin Ball’s discovery of a World War I medal in Loveclough Park, and (b) the article penned by Roger Fulton on work to restore the Spewing Duck; Ian B and Frank said that they had received appreciative feedback on the issue.

4.2.3 Other items on which the Secretary had received correspondence appeared later on the Agenda.

4.3      Treasurer/Chairman LVAA

4.3.1 Darryl reported no change in the LVRA finances, other than receipt of a £20.00 donation which was much appreciated.

4.3.2 Work to improve the car-park and to lay the base for a community building would await better weather.

4.3.3 RBC’s introduction of a charge to empty brown bins led Darryl to fear that fly-tipping of garden waste on the allotment site was a risk: this would have to be monitored.

4.4      Footpaths Officer – Bob’s report is shown in full as Annex 1.

4.5      Social Media & Liaison Officer – no report was forthcoming.

4.6 LVEG

4.6.1 Steve said that whilst there was nothing further to report on the park, work to cut back invasive rhododendrons was planned.

4.6.2 A litter-pick would commence at the park on 10.00 hrs. on Sunday, 14 January.

5. 1220 Burnley Road

5.1 David reported receipt on 21 December 2017 of a request from RBC for comment on the proposed conversion from commercial to domestic premises.

5.2 After consultation with officers, he had responded by sending a letter supporting the scheme but pointing out that as work had been proceeding for over a month before despatch of the request, this seemed an odd way in which to proceed.

5.3 Alyson agreed, adding that some developers – having applied for planning permission – seemed to regard having to wait for approval to be some sort of optional extra; this was not acceptable.

6. CAST

6.1 Bob reported on developments in the CAST programme: his report is shown in full as Annex 2.

6.2 The schedule of buildings currently under consideration is shown as Annex 3.

7. The Glory

7.1 The Secretary had received emails enquiring about the developer’s compliance with RBC’s requirements, given the decision of the Planning Inspector, Mr Thomas Shields.

7.2 Stanley said that he had removed from the site more material than he had deposited and that the matter was now in the hands of his agent, Stephen Hartley.

7.3 In answer to Ian C, Stanley said that the material had been moved off-site.

7.4 Alyson read aloud from an email from Richard Elliott (RBC’s Enforcement Officer) in which he said that whilst the date had passed for full compliance, there was now liaison between two parties; whilst there was evidence of material being moved, quantum had yet to be established; if full compliance had not been achieved, then there was the option of prosecution; in the meantime, there would be discussion between the parties to establish the facts of the situation.

8. Traffic issues

8.1 Road surface repairs

8.1.1 The Secretary had put the item on the Agenda as he had received correspondence commenting on the very partial nature of the works implemented in the village.

8.1.2 Alyson said that it was mere coincidence that what had been completed was adjacent to Forest Bank (!) but the intention had been to complete first repairs to a noisy section of road where nearby elderly residents had been especially inconvenienced at night.

8.1.3 Potholes had been identified earlier in the day and further remedial work was expected.

8.2 Evidence of speeding and measures to control

8.2.1 The Secretary had received correspondence following the item on this issue in the Limey Leader.

8.2.2 There was a wide-ranging discussion with suggested measures including a 30 mph speed limit, speed humps (thought to be wholly unacceptable to LCC and, according to Ian B, the cause of vehicular damage elsewhere in the country with local authorities being sued to recover repair costs) and chicanes; Neil felt that existing mobile speed traps ineffective because of their visibility and the habit of drivers’ flashing warnings.

8.2.3 Alyson said it was a shame that a previous scheme to regulate village centre traffic had been lost many years ago; she felt that given the evidence now to had, this was a matter for LCC.

8.2.4 A proposal was put, instructing the Secretary to contact David Foxcroft, our county councillor, to draw his attention to the issues; it was AGREED nem. con; ACTION by the Secretary.

8.2.5 Ian raised once again the proposal for residents to undergo training in the use of mobile speed cameras; this had previously foundered because there was a requirement that those so trained should operate in areas other than their own.

9. Any Other Business

9.1 There was none.

10. Next Meetings and Close

10.1 20.00 hrs. on Monday, 12 February 2018 at the Top Club.

10.2 Thereafter the now usual pattern of utilising the 2nd Monday of each month will continue, so that meetings in 2018 are expected to be held as follows: 12 March, 9 April, 14 May, 11 June, 9 July, 13 August, 10 September, 8 October, 12 November (including AGM) and 10 December.

10.3 The meeting closed at 20.37 hrs..

Annex 1 Footpaths Officer

My report this month centres on modification orders. The first is the one being prepared for the path at the side of St Mary’s Church, Goodshaw. Members using Facebook will probably be acquainted with some of the details. For anyone who is not as familiar with Facebook, the story is thus. Due to the low take-up of EVIDENCE OF USE ON FOOT forms I decided to take the plunge and see if Facebook could rustle up some more folk who may have used the path.

The posting reached some 1,890 people: 10 people actually liked the post (it’s beyond me why!) 17 people commented they had either used the track or know of it and just 6 replied to say they would fill in a form. However, whilst the quantity of forms may be low overall, this is more than made up for by the quality of evidence submitted with all the forms collected to date with respondents stating they had used the track from between 2 and 80 years, with the majority being in the 50 to 60 year bracket.

The fact that the track is unadopted and is being used should make the modification order simple. I will place a notice near the entrance to the nursery shortly, hopefully to see if anyone else will fill in a form – but I fully intend to wrap this up by the end of March and post it to Lancashire County Council’s legal department and get the process underway.

Last month I mentioned placing a change of use order on Footpath No 337 running from Goodshaw Lane to Bottomley Bank Road. Despite the disappointment with the above mentioned modification order on Facebook I will no doubt (being the glutton for punishment that I am) run a similar exercise with this path. I just hope that due to the reported number of people using this track the response will be significantly higher than that with the above mentioned order. The first details of this order will go out next month.

Bob Nicholas

Annex 2 CAST (Community Assets Standing Tall)

As the Brexit chief negotiator Michel Barnier would say “the clock is ticking” and it is indeed on the CAST project with just five short months till the CAST team will be coming to our area. To help set the ball rolling on this I placed a notice on Facebook about CAST. To date it has reached 377 people and had 9 likes. The fact is (and with all due respect) I don’t want people to like the idea I want them to get enthusiastic and nominate a local asset for the CAST list. Along with the notice I also included a list of some of the buildings, etc, that could be registered in this area which came to 30 and there are undoubtedly more!

This project is in its early stages but I seem to have been reporting on it for ever. This is because the initial introduction to CAST came about through the situation with Folly Clough Bridge. However the local community and the members of the LVRA are lucky that we have a very large foot in the door with this project and are really better placed than many communities across the borough will be in respect to CAST. The Secretary of CAST did agree to give a special presentation to the LVRA should we request it and this would be a good idea if there is sufficient interest shown in this project.

The list of buildings, etc, was drawn up from the Civic Trust List and the Grade II Heritage Buildings List. I was advised by CAST to get nominations for every type of structure that may have some value to the community. This of course will only work if the local community really get behind this project. And this (and I hope I am proved wrong) may well be the stumbling block if the response to it is similar to my previous report over St Mary’s path. I have included the list that went out on Facebook at the bottom of this report for members not familiar with the questionable delights of social media!

Proposed list for CAST (Part 1 adopted from Civic Trust list)

Constable Lee School (Burnley Rd.)

Rakefoot House (next to Crawshaw Hall)

Primitive Methodist Chapel (now house) Lord St.

‘Half houses’ on Lord St.

Former Hargreaves’ plumbers shop (Burnley Rd.)

Bridge across Folly Stream at Water St.

Ta Top Farm (Goodshaw Chapel)

Kippax Mill Chimney (Stoneholme Rd)

Rehoboth Chapel (Goodshawfold) (NB now maybe too much altered)

Swinshaw Hall Loveclough.

Remains of Lower Folly Clough Mill and associated water management

(NB this would include the bridge to Folly Terrace)

Gothic grave in Goodshaw St Mary’s Churchyard

Graveyard at Sunnyside Baptists (Burnley Rd)

Datestone from Reedsholme Works (Burnley Rd.)

Part 2 Grade ll Heritage Listed

St. Mary and All Saints Goodshaw GII

Goodshaw Old Baptist Chapel GII*

Friends Meeting House Crawshawbooth GII*

Former Rakefoot Methodist Church Burnley Road GII

Rakefoot Methodist Church/School York Street GII

Crawshaw Hall Burnley Rd. GII*

Lodge House to Crawshaw Hall GII

Gateposts to Crawshaw Hall GII

Bower in Grounds of Crawshaw Hall GII

Tower in woods above Crawshaw Hall GII

Sunnyside House GII

Pinner Cottage Pinner Lane GII

CPA Club Lovecough GII

Spewing Duck Goodshawfold GII

Gravestone at Orchard Terrace Crawshawbooth GII (Recent addition)

Gravestone at Edge End Farm GII. (Recent addition.)

Annex 3 Social Media and Liaison

Facebook – 675 Facebook followers

  • Post about CAST (Community Assets Standing Tall) sessions viewed by 377 

  • Post about the modification order on the track at St Mary’s and All saints church viewed 1890 times and was shared 8 times and consequently provided some engagement on the subject between  residents and the LVRA Footpaths Officer.

  • Suspicious circs post about pair seen in Todmorden, Rawtenstall and Waterfoot stealing stone wall tops viewed by 1,155 and shared 8 times

  • Post about  stone theft around York St/Forest Bank area viewed by 2,884 and shared 21 times

  • Post about repeated parking on the pavement at junction of Church St and Burnley Road viewed 728 times.  The cars which are parking there are associated with just one or two of the houses opposite Chapel St and Goodshaw Baptist Church.  It is a wide pavement area, but parking there blocks the view for vehicles turning right out of Church St and impedes pedestrians – especially prams and mobility scooters.

Twitter – 127 followers

Website – Nothing to report