Minutes of the LVRA monthly meeting Monday 8th May 2017

David Rhodes


LVRA Meeting: 20.00 hrs. on Monday 08 May 2017 at the Top Club

Present: Karen Hawden (Chair), David Hempsall (Secretary), David Rhodes (Social Media & Liaison Officer); Barbara Ashworth, Julian Ashworth, Ian Booth, Ann Corkin, David Corkin, John Dawson, Michael Dop, Cllr David Foxcroft, Andrea French, Roger Fulton, Barbara Gerken, Steve Glenholmes, Marie Hargreaves, Michael Howard, Ken Iveson, Gwen Marlow, Lewis Pearson, Frank Pilkington, David Pilling, Jean Pilling, Janette Rawstron, Jim Riley, Gillian Terry, Helen Varnom, Honor Varnom, Jane Walker, Barbara Walton, Eric Walton, Ann White, Chris Whiting .

Apologies: Darryl Nugent (Treasurer), Bob Nicholas (Footpaths Officer); Cllr Alyson Barnes, Marian Bent, Diane Ewart-Jones, Neil Prestwich, Margaret Ray and Bett Watson.

1.        Opening Remarks – Apologies – Thanks

1.1 Karen welcomed those attending.

1.2 Apologies were taken.

2.        Minutes of Last Meeting, 10 April 2017

2.1 Lewis proposed and Ian seconded acceptance of the Minutes.

2.2 The Minutes were taken as a true record, nem.con.

3.        Matters Arising

35.10.1 The Glory, update [Planning Inspectorate: APP/B2355/C/16/3158284 + linked case APP/B2355/W/16/3159927]: David H reported that in a decision dated 26 April 2017, the Planning Inspector – Mr Thomas Shields – had rejected the two appeals made by Mr Stanley Ainsworth against decisions made by Rossendale Borough Council: Appeal A was against the enforcement order requiring the restoration of land to the west of The Glory and the decision included some textual modification; Appeal B was against RBC’s rejection of plans for housing to be constructed to the north of the main building of The Glory.

3.5 3 dwellings west of the Bowling Green Commercial Street [Planning Application No. 2016/0636]: there was nothing further to report.

4.6.2 Loveclough Park, update: Steve reported that the project had slipped back by two months because of the need for a re-tendering exercise.

5 Community Centre, update: in an email, Alyson confirmed that legalities with LCC were in train.

10.1 Proposal for HGV business, update: David H reported that submissions had been made to the Traffic Commissioner and to the Highways Department at LCC (copied to Alyson); he had received half-a-dozen responses to the flyer he had circulated to residents of Commercial Street and Loveclough Place; it was his understanding that the matter was being discussed on the very day of the LVRA meeting.

4.        Reports

4.1      Chair

4.1.1 Karen presented her report, supplementing it with the content of Alyson’s email.

4.1.2 On Kippax Mill (the former Colbran building), RBC’s enforcement officers were considering prosecuting the current owners for taking down three protected trees; officers were liaising with the owners’ solicitors.

4.1.3 On Goodshawfold green and trees, Alyson advised that RBC had acted in good faith in taking down trees following a request received from a resident who the council thought was speaking on behalf of most of Goodshawfold’s residents; she suggested residents might form a local environmental group: this led to wide-ranging discussion.

4.1.3.1 Jane Walker said that the request had been for trees to be pruned, not felled, as two of the three appeared to be sound.

4.1.3.2 Barbara Gerken reported a number of complaints about the trees being felled; Margaret Ray had received an email from RBC indicating the council’s being aware of the need to replace the felled trees; the remaining stumps were dangerous and one child had been hospitalised with minor injuries; Alyson’s suggestion about forming a local group was unnecessary as the LVRA was an appropriate conduit.

4.1.3.3 Jane said that Julie Boon held a licence from RBC to care for the area.

4.1.3.4 David F said he had sought further information from RBC’s Chief Executive to establish what information had been to hand prior to the trees being felled

4.1.3.5 In further discussion, it was clear that the core issue remained the felling of the trees which had originally been a gift to the village.

4.1.3.6 It was AGREED that those residents from Goodshawfold attending the meeting would confer with a view to coordinating views and possible actions; ACTION by residents to Goodshawfold.

4.2 Secretary

4.2.1 David H said that the month past had been the quietest on record.

4.2.2 He had actioned a response to the Traffic Commissioner (cf. Item 3.10.1, supra), received the Planning Inspector’s decision (cf. Item 35.10.1, supra), attended the unveiling of the Loveclough marker stone (Item 5, infra) and was working on the next issue of the Limey Leader (Item 6, infra).

4.2.3 In response to Andrea, David said the Royal Mail consultation was ongoing; if residents had concerns, then they should contact the Royal Mail’s Tanya Gourley directly on: major.address.changes@royalmail.com

4.3      Treasurer/Chairman LVAA

4.3.1 Darryl had advised that association balances stood at £3187 at bank with cash and cheques to hand valued at £165.

4.3.2 On the allotments, the growing season was well under way, despite the lack of rainfall.

4.4      Footpaths Officer

4.4.1 Bob having submitted his report, dedicated entirely to the marker stone, it is shown in full as Annex 1.

4.5      Social Media & Liaison Officer

4.5.1 David R reported 622 Facebook likes and 116 on Twitter.

4.5.2 The CPA leaflet, distributed with the Limey Leader had attracted over 1000 expressions of interest.

4.5.3 Matters which had attracted particular interest were Crawshawbooth Pre-School and reports of pollution of the River Irwell from Rawtenstall and downstream.

4.6 LVEG

4.6.1 Steve had reported previously under Item, 3.4.6.1, supra.

4.6.2 He added that LVEG’s bank account now stood at zero, balances having been expended in getting the project moving once again.

5. Loveclough marker stone, update

5.1 Further to Annex 1, the Deputy Mayor and Mayoress – Cllr Colin and Mrs Crawforth – had performed the unveiling (the Mayor being unwell); a letter of thanks (plus photographs of the occasion) had been sent.

5.2 A report would be despatched to the Rossendale Free Press, in the hope of securing some accuracy.

6. Limey Leader

6.1 David H said that he expected the next issue to be an eight-page edition; once again, he asked for help in securing advertising.

6.2 He felt that he already had sufficient prepared (or on the stocks) for five pages and would contact regular contributors shortly.

7. Any Other Business

7.1 Burning noxious waste: Barbara G said that the very weekend the Goodshawfold trees had been felled, waste was being burned, producing noxious fumes; being a weekend, Environmental Health authorities had not been available; Ian B confirmed that such antisocial burning of rubbish was becoming a feature; Jane W recommended video-ing smoke to identify the source..

7.2 Smallholding adjacent to the Limey Water: Barbara G asked who was responsible for clearing detritus from a recently vacated smallholding; it was AGREED that this was the responsibility of the landowner.

7.3 Lewis enquired about the possibility of installing seating in bus shelters.

7.4 In answer to Ian, no further information about the Commercial Street bridge was to hand, though David H said he had drawn attention to the issue in his submissions to the Traffic Commissioner, copied to LCC’s Highways Department (cf. Item 4.2.2, supra).

7.5 On the Colbrand building, Roger Fulton felt that development threatened the existing footpath, so it was important that residents continued to use the path; John D agreed, recommending that those using the path kept a record of their use.

7.6 On the path from Goodshawfold to Crawshawbooth, Roger felt that the provision of bins for dog waste was insufficient with irresponsible walkers not removing their pooches’ excrement; in discussion, David H expressed sympathy but said that his evidence – from a conversation he had had with the RBC operative charged with emptying dog waste bins – was that RBC found difficulty in providing and then clearing existing bins, resources being hard-pressed.

7.7 In response to Barbara who sought advice on funding for benches, David R suggested an approach to the Neighbourhood Forum.

7.8 Michael D reported that there had been a road accident adjacent to the village Post Office, just as had been forecast by the association when re-siting the Post Office had been mooted; he feared that whilst the cyclist involved had been injured, the next such incident might involve a fatality.

7.9 Lewis observed that the land on the east side of the A682 Burnley Road opposite Commercial Street and adjacent to the southbound bus stop stopped flooding following visits by the person responsible for unblocking drains; this suggested an ongoing need for routine maintenance.

8. Location of future meetings

8.1 Following an email exchange with the Top Club, the Chair sought members’ views on other locations for meetings: there was a wide-ranging discussion.

8.2 The merits and demerits of other locations – such as the Community Centre and the CPA – were aired.

8.3 It was AGREED that officers would research the issue.

9. Next Meetings and Close

9.1 20.00 hrs. on Monday, 12 June 2017 at the Top Club.

9.2 Thereafter meetings – following the now usual pattern of utilising the 2nd Monday of each month – will be as follows: 10 July, 14 August, 11 September, 9 October, 13 November, 11 December at locations to be notified.

Annex 1 Footpaths Officer

This report is definitely the very final boundary marker report.

Members know only too well the saga that has ensued over this matter. My involvement at the beginning came when I was as exasperated as our previous Chair who had made continued reference to identifying Loveclough’s boundary – but unfortunately no progress was made due to poor response. At the time I was heavily involved with my good friend Footpath No 4 but in order to bring some conclusion (and possibly without blowing my own trumpet the person best placed to do so!) I widened the view of the historic evidence that I had acquired on Loveclough Fold to find a solution to the problem.

The rest of course is history. My research has found that for a village to have its actual boundary set on a map is very rare. I looked back in time to the late 1600s and through to the present day. The drawing up of the final map, cutting as it does the ancient area of Goodshaw Booth nearly in two, came as a result not of any historic evidence but was based in the end upon the collective perception of where people lived and was with no regard to historic boundaries – these disappearing even further into the mists of time.

But the job has NOW been done: Loveclough has a village map, a fine marker stone and plaque. A job that was not completed as per usual for the LVRA without a lot of behind the scenes work. So it is a big thank-you to all involved whether in a big or small way in bringing the job to a final and satisfactory conclusion.

Bob Nicholas
Allotment
Darryl emailed yesterday regarding an allotment that has become available, it is right next to mine.  He did offer it to me but I have enough on with my own.  He did ask that we make this known at the meeting but I didn’t check my emails until afterwards.  I asked if he would like us to tag this info onto the minutes of the meeting and he said yes please ask David if he would do that.