Minutes of the LVRA monthly meeting Monday 10th April 2017

David Rhodes

 

LVRA Meeting: 20.00 hrs. on Monday 10 April 2017 at the Top Club

Present: Karen Hawden (Chair), David Hempsall (Secretary), Darryl Nugent (Treasurer), Bob Nicholas (Footpaths Officer), David Rhodes (Social Media & Liaison Officer); Cllr Alyson Barnes, Marian Bent, Ian Booth, Joyce Brookfield, Cllr Dorothy Farrington, David Foxcroft, Michael Howard, Suzanne Ogden, Lewis Pearson, Frank Pilkington, Barbara Walton, Eric Walton, Bett Watson and Ann White .

Apologies: Barbara Ashworth, Julian Ashworth, Ann Corkin, David Corkin, John Dawson, Diane Ewart-Jones, Steve Glenholmes, Jim Riley and Sandra Simpson.

1.        Opening Remarks – Apologies – Thanks

1.1 Karen welcomed those attending.

1.2 Apologies were taken.

2.        Minutes of Last Meeting, 13 February 2017

2.1 Lewis proposed and Alyson seconded acceptance of the Minutes.

2.2 The Minutes were taken as a true record, nem.con.

3.        Matters Arising

35.10.1 The Glory, update [Planning Inspectorate: APP/B2355/C/16/3158284 + linked case APP/B2355/W/16/3159927]: there was nothing further to report.

3.5 3 dwellings west of the Bowling Green Commercial Street [Planning Application No. 2016/0636]: there was nothing further to report.

3.6 Loveclough’s Identity: Royal Mail consultation, update: the Royal Mail was now consulting those individuals who had registered their objections to re-coding; the meeting applauded the Royal Mail’s sensitivity on this issue.

4.        Reports

4.1      Chair

4.1.1 Joanne Bowler had contacted Karen about clearance of a site in Turton Hollow; Alyson confirmed that the work was being undertaken for a developer.

4.1.2 John Clements had written concerning tree planting and diesel engines; Alyson said Mr Clements was a regular correspondent and reiterated policy which was that whereas four diseased with protection orders on them had been taken down, two new trees for each would be planted; diesel engines left running, it was AGREED, was an issue for all.

4.2      Secretary

4.2.1 The Secretary had had a quiet month: he had the feeling of quiet before the storm with decisions on significant planning issues now imminent.

4.2.2 He had been contacted over two issues which, it was AGREED, would be taken under Any Other Business (cf. Item 10.3.2, infra).

4.3      Treasurer/Chairman LVAA

4.3.1 The Treasurer reported funds standing at £4,629.29.

4.3.2 Planting on the allotments had commenced; installation of a community facility was planned, subject to sourcing appropriate hard-core for the base; the car-park would be extended slightly to facilitate manoeuvring by vehicles.

4.4      Footpaths Officer

4.4.1 Bob presented his monthly report which is shown in full as Annex 1.

4.4.2 In response to Darryl, Bob was unaware of any time-limit for Dwell Developments to contest LCC’s decision on FP4.

4.5      Social Media & Liaison Officer

4.5.1 David reported 626 Facebook likes.

4.5.2 He reiterated over 3,000 likes following positive media coverage of Rossendale as a place to visit and live.

4.5.3 He had projects under development on which he would report in the future.

4.6 LVEG

4.6.1 In Steve’s absence, there was no report.

[4.6.2 Later in the meeting, Ian said that LVEG expected work on Loveclough Park, undertaken by contractors, to be started and finished as was reported at the previous meeting: the Minute reads: Contractors were expected on site on 27 April and the project was scheduled for completion on 10 May 2017.]

5. Community Centre, update

5.1 Alyson said a draft lease was awaited; those involved were chomping on the bit.

5.2 Some re-decoration of the library was required.

5.3 In response to Lewis, she reiterated that the library would be focussed on children; opening hours – as previously notified – would be from 15.00-17.00 hrs. during the week and on Saturday mornings.

5.4 A book-exchange scheme for adults would be introduced and books could be ordered from Rossendale Library.

5.5 Whilst adults’ books would be re-deployed elsewhere in the county, LCC had agreed that all children’s books be retained and new volumes added from other libraries in the county which had been closed.

6. Phase 2 consultation, update

6.1 On Lives and Landscapes: Local Plan, publication of information – including sites – was expected in June 2017

6.2 On Phase 2 – the Valley Centre, re-development of the Old Town Hall was expected to be completed by February 2018 and the new bus station by May 2018; thereafter, re-development would be on a rolling programme

7. Loveclough marker stone, update

7.1 Bob had had contact with the manufacturers a couple of weeks previously; he was awaiting developments.

7.2 Dorothy enquired about the shape of the plaque; it was AGREED David H would supply Dorothy with a mock-up; ACTION(ED) by David H.

7.3 It was further AGREED that the Mayor should be invited to unveil the plaque; ACTION by David H would establish contact with Stephanie Carroll, the Mayor’s PA.

8. Fund-raising events – offers to organise

8.1 No offers were received.

8.2 Ian added that a suggestion had been made that the formal re-opening of the park be marked with some sort of event; he felt that once again, however, it would be the same few individuals who would be doing all the work.

9. Limey Leader

9.1 David H had established contact with the printer who had reported that production of election literature had slowed work on the Leader.

9.2 Delivery to Darryl for distribution was expected on Thursday, 13 April.

10. Any Other Business

10.1 Proposal for HGV business

10.1.1 David H had been contacted about the proposal by Mr David Cairns to operate HGVs across the Commercial Street/Loveclough Fold bridge; given the restrictions imposed by LCC – but still not signed – this will be a test case.

10.1.2 Alyson reported that LCC Highways were aware of the proposal.

10.2 Activity adjacent to Kenross

10.2.1 Suzanne reported on activity on scrubland adjacent; she had heard that the land opposite had recently been sold; she was concerned by the appearance of – and activity involving – heavy machinery; JCBs had been observed crossing the bridge with two culverts.

10.2.2 There was wide-ranging discussion: Darryl said hearsay was that the land would be sub-divided into units, starting at the southerly end of the site; Alyson said that one of the trees taken down was visibly hollowed out; the matter had been referred to RBC’s Enforcement Team.

10.2.3 Suzanne also raised tree-cutting on the opposite side of the site; hard-core had been put down; Alyson reiterated that all would be subject to review by the Enforcement Team to ensure compliance.

10.2.4 Joyce was concerned that the works had produced gridlock, causing residents great inconvenience.

10.3 Loveclough Park

10.3.1 David R sought an update on the park for Facebook.

10.3.2 Ian reiterated the plans (cf. Item 4.2.2, supra).

10.3.3 Alyson confirmed receipt of an update from Proffitts on the scheme.

10.4 The Glory

10.4.1 Ian commended the quality of work on The Glory, implemented by Mr Ainsworth and his operatives.

10.4.2 Bob agreed, adding that the removal of scaffolding early on a Sunday Morning was, however, unacceptable.

10.5 Availability of plots at Badgercote Allotments

10.5.1 Darryl advised of the availability of one – and possibly two – half-plots on the allotments.

10.6 £1.6 million for roadworks in Rossendale

10.6.1 David H recalled the item, minuted on 11 April 2016.

10.6.2 Alyson said that what had been promised in the capital programme had been delivered; much had been spend on bridges; a draft programme for 2018 had appeared in March.

10.6.3 She summarised the problems in Rossendale, adding that LCC had decided to top-dress defective roads: three such lengths of road had been dealt with at a cost of £202,000 but there remained significant pot-holing such as adjacent to the St James Medical Centre/Spar and when turning into Newchurch Road.

10.6.4 Alyson said that drastic cuts to the central Revenue Support Grant were the principal cause: whereas in 2010, the grant had amounted to £21,000,000, in 2017, the grant would be £9,000,000: councils were being encouraged to build homes to draw in council tax and to raise business rates.

10.7 May tree in Crawshawbooth

10.7.1 Lewis drew attention to the tree situated opposite Toffs, overhanging branches of which were hazardous to buses; the artificial light had encouraged the tree to grow.

10.7.2 Alyson confirmed she would take the matter on.

10.8 Anti-social behaviour

10.8.1 Barbara reported anti-social behaviour by a motor cyclist.

10.8.2 It was AGREED that details were required, such as a registration plate; ACTION by residents affected.

11. Next Meetings and Close

11.1 20.00 hrs. on Monday, 8 May 2017: Top Club.

11.2 The meeting closed at 20.45 hrs.

Annex 1 Footpath Officer’s Report

During the past month I received the following communication from Lancashire County Council’s Legal Department regarding the Deletion and Addition Modification Orders I have placed on Footpath No4 in Loveclough Fold. I was informed that “the County Council’s Regulatory Committee, at its meeting on 16th November 2016, determined that both the above claims should be accepted”. The County Council will now make the necessary Definitive Map and Statement Orders to bring the decisions into effect. And at that time a copy of the orders and plans together with a notice giving details of the orders will also be published in the local press and displayed on site.

Of course this is not quite the end of the matter; landowners who are affected by the M.O’s have under law a right of representation against the orders. I am expecting Dwell Developments to contest the orders as initially they were responsible for defacing the notice I placed on site to make walkers aware of the intended orders, and this action was followed shortly afterwards by the erection of the substantial fence that is in place today across the path.

Dwell like many incomers will be totally unaware of the history of the Fold and the matter that the path along the South East bank of the River Limey is an ancient track way that has been in existence for over two centuries. I am totally confident that the evidence to support the MO with regard to this path is strong enough to overturn any representation made against it, containing as it does, not only my extensive research but evidence supplied by LCC’s own legal department circa 2006.

So the saga for now continues. But with the recognition of the claims LCC have taken a large step to rectifying a convoluted problem which has been in existence for some 67 years and been the source of, at times, unpleasantness and misunderstanding. As to a time frame – at the time of writing this report I have none. The ball is in the court of the landowners who do or don’t wish to contest the order. I will keep members up-to-date with developments as and when I receive further communication on this issue.

Bob Nicholas