Minutes of the LVRA monthly meeting Monday 12th December 2016

David Rhodes


LVRA Meeting: 20.00 hrs. on Monday 12 December 2016 at the Top Club

Present: Karen Hawden (Chair), Darryl Nugent (Treasurer), Bob Nicholas (Footpaths Officer), David Rhodes (Social Media & Liaison Officer); Chris Ainsworth, Stanley Ainsworth*, Barbara Ashworth, Julian Ashworth, Derrick Bartlett-Smith, Marian Bent, Ian Booth, Ann Corkin, David Corkin, John Dawson, Michael Dop, Claire Fletcher, Steve Glenholmes, Marie Hargreaves, Michael Howard, Ken Iveson, John McGauley*, Lewis Pearson, David Pilling, Sandra Simpson, S Spencer, Barbara Walton, Eric Walton, Ann White and Chris Whiting. [* = non-resident]

Apologies: Cllr Alyson Barnes, Diane Ewart-Jones, David Hempsall (Secretary), Jean Pilling, Neil Prestwich and Jim Riley.

1.        Opening Remarks – Apologies – Thanks

1.1 Karen welcomed those attending.

1.2 Apologies were taken.

1.3 In the absence of the Secretary, Darryl agreed to take notes.

2.        Minutes of Last Meeting, 10 October 2016

2.1 Bob proposed and Darryl seconded acceptance of the Minutes.

2.2 The Minutes were taken as a true record, nem.con.


3.        Matters Arising

3.8.8.1 Loveclough’s Identity, update: all documentation being complete – including support from Jake Berry MP and Gill Tattersall (RBC) – the Secretary had agreed with Tanya Gourley (Royal Mail) that the public consultation would commence in the New Year.

3.3.10.1 The Glory, update: the matter was with the Planning Inspectorate; it was AGREED that the Secretary should re-send the LVRA’s package; ACTION by the Secretary.

3.3.8 Proposal for Premier convenience store at 801 Burnley Road, update:

3.3.8.1 The Licensing Committee granted a licence to sell alcohol at its meeting on 29 November.

3.3.8.2 Those from the LVRA who had attended were unhappy that the RBC website continued to show that the police had objections; the constabulary’s imposing conditions which the applicant had subsequently undertaken to meet was not shown.

3.3.8.3 Inter alia, the applicant had stated that he had permission from Alderson & Horan to use their frontage for customer parking; Sandra reported that the no such permission had been given; she had contacted Neil Birtles (RBC officer handling the application) to point out the inaccuracy; Darryl suggested securing a written statement from Alderson & Horan which could be taken to the Development Control Meeting on 13 December; Neil Birtles had noted the point and had said that no additional written evidence would be required at the DCC meeting.

3.3.8.4 NOTE: the DCC, at its meeting on 13 December, rejected the application.

3.7 2 Commercial Street, update

3.7.1 Mr Ashworth’s application for a review of his proposals which had previously been rejected (Planning Application 2016/0478) had been turned down.

3.7.2 Mr Ashworth has lodged an appeal.

3.9.1 Principal Planning Officer

3.9.1.1 The Secretary had contacted Adrian Smith with a view to LVRA’s disseminating information about the town centre re-development.

4.        Reports

4.1      Chairman

4.1.1 There was discussion of a suggestion that the Molly Ring play area might be upgraded.

4.1.2 Chris asked who owned the park and the Chair replied that it belonged to RBC.

4.1.3 The Chair was not confident that in the present financial climate, RBC would be able to upgrade the facility.

4.2      Secretary

4.2.1 In David H’s absence, Darryl read out his report.

4.2.2 Matters Arising showed that a lot of business had been conducted: David pointed out an increasing tendency for proposals to be put out in December in the hope that recipients might lose sight of them over the Christmas and New Year period.

4.2.3 David had proposed adding the Annual General Meeting to the Agenda of the routine, monthly meeting held each November: the meeting AGREED nem. con; ACTION by the Secretary

4.3      Treasurer/Chairman LVAA

4.3.1 Darryl reported £3,590.54 in the bank with £92.00 cash in hand.

4.3.2 Work on the allotments had slowed with the onset of winter.

4.4      Footpaths Officer

4.4.1 Bob presented his periodic report.

4.4.2 Bob’s report is shown in full as Annex 1.

4.5      Social Media & Liaison Officer

4.5.1 Facebook “likes” have risen from 606 to 616.

4.5.2 There was interest in the proposed Premier convenience store at 801 Burnley Road; David R commented on the change of stance by the police on the day of the licensing hearing (cf. Item 3.3.8.2, supra).

4.5.3 The application had attracted numerous posts, mainly opposing the plan; as these had become increasingly inappropriate, David R had taken the topic down.

4.6 LVEG

4.6.1 Steve had nothing to report.

5. Loveclough boundary stone

5.1 Bob reported on the installation of the stone at 07.00 hrs. on Saturday, 9 December, by a team provided by Killeleas accompanied by their 50 tonne crane.

5.2 Bob had previously notified neighbours of the likelihood of some disruption.

5.3 In response to the suggestion that a time capsule be placed beneath the stone, ideas were sought.

5.4 Ian Booth had been supplied with a new spade to replace one which broke during the installation.

5.5 It was AGREED that letters of thanks be sent to CJ McManus of Park Royal, for the gift of the stone and free delivery; and to Bob Killelea for the use of his crane and team (with special thanks to Martin for organising the lift); ACTION by the Secretary.

5.6 Bob outlined a prospective timeline for installing an appropriate plaque and David R said that at Ian Booth’s suggestion, samples would be shown on the website and on Facebook to solicit comments from residents.

5.7 In response to Lewis’s concern that any driver losing vehicular control in icy conditions would crash into the stone with dire consequences, Darryl suggested that any such vehicle would hit the existing lamp standard before reaching the stone.

6. Future events

6.1 The meeting thought it advisable to plan several smaller events throughout the year rather than depending wholly on the Summer Fete to generate both income and a sense of community.

6.2 In discussion, a number of ideas were floated including Easter Egg Hunt, Geocaching Hunt, Raffle, Old Fashioned Jumble Sale and a Car Boot Sale.

6.3 Darryl pointed out that a decision would need to be taken in early January if there was to be a Summer Fete in 2017.

7. St John’s

7.1 The Chair outlined the current state of the plans for St John’s to be converted into residential units.

7.2 In the absence of any detailed plans, discussion was brief.

7.3 Darryl thought the church building would make an excellent community facility if appropriate funding could be secured.

7.4 David R said he would put a straightforward questionnaire online with a simple YES/NO as to whether St John’s should be re-modelled this way.

8. Timing of the Annual General Meeting

8.1 This had been discussed (and resolved) previously as Item 4.2.3, supra.

9. Any Other Business

9.1 The Glory re-development:

9.1.1 Stanley asked why Bob had been seen on private land at the Glory, adding that he would happily invite people on-site if they asked.

9.1.2 Bob replied that, in the absence of fencing, the boundary of the private land was hard to identify and apologised for any inconvenience.

9.1.3 Stanley said that he had subsequently installed perimeter fencing.

9.2 Folly Clough bridge

9.2.1 Chris asked if there were any developments on the Folly Clough Bridge, given that the parapet had fallen away in places and was now an H&S issue.

9.2.2 Chris AGREED to take photos of the damage for forwarding as appropriate; ACTION by Chris.

9.3 Wall to the east of the bus shelter on the A682

9.3.1 The Chair asked if there had been any developments as regards the wall to the east of the shelter at the top of Commercial Street.

9.3.2 There was no knowledge of any developments.

9.4 Loveclough Fold bridge

9.4.1 David C asked a similar question regarding the bridge over the Limey Water at Loveclough Fold, pointing out that a number of heavy vehicles had been passing over the bridge recently contrary to the unadvertised weight limit imposed by LCC.

9.4.2 No-one had any knowledge of any developments.

10. Next Meeting and Close

10.1 The next meeting would be held – as per the Agenda – on Monday, 9 January 2016 at 20.00 hrs. at the Top Club.

10.2 The usual pattern of monthly meetings every second Monday would apply for 2017.

10.3 Lewis closed the meeting by wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

10.4 The meeting concluded at 20.34 hrs..

Annex 1 Footpaths Officer’s Report

I have three items to report on this month regarding the footpath network in the area. The first two are to do with problems regarding the public’s use of footpaths. The first was relayed to me by our Chair: that being the owners of Loveclough fisheries have once again been acting aggressively towards walkers using Footpath No1 Rawtenstall (the path runs from Loveclough Fold through the fisheries and up Hameldon Hill). I reported the issue to Lancashire County Council. This was the second time according to my records but LCC said they had had no former record of a report but the matter would be put in hand.

The second item is regarding a pedestrian gate and field gate blockage on Gib Hill Lane. My wife and I came across the said infringement on one of our periodic walking rounds. The blockage is at GR SD 825 266 where Gib Hill Lane (Footpath Rawtenstall No 24) meets the path from Meadow Head which crosses it and continues to meet Bottomley Bank Lane (Footpath Rawtenstall No 19). We discovered the field gate had been padlocked and the above mentioned pedestrian gate was nailed closed! Next to it the land owner had obviously spent some time and effort installing a step over stile which in law is to no avail. Understandably LCC are none too pleased with this development and it has been made a subject of an official report. Thus the situation will be looked into and I will be kept informed of developments.

Finally item three concerns the path at the side of St Marys and All Saints Church, Goodshaw – as most members know of the intended Modification Order on this path by now. I have decided in future updates to refer to the path as simply “St Mary’s path” – if anyone has a problem with this, please send a post card to the usual address.

Bob Nicholas
T: 07780 813 613
E: bobnic51@btinternet.com

41 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.