Minutes of the LVRA monthly meeting Monday 14th November 2016

David Rhodes

LVRA Meeting: 20.00 hrs. on Monday 14 November 2016 at the Top Club

Present: Karen Hawden (Chair), David Hempsall (Secretary), Bob Nicholas (Footpaths Officer), David Rhodes (Social Media & Liaison Officer), Darryl Nugent (Treasurer); F L Badrock, Cllr Alyson Barnes, Marian Bent, Debra Booth, Mark Booth, Ian Booth, John Dawson, Cllr Dorothy Farrington, Claire Fletcher, S Hollings, Michael Howard, Sandra Lawson, Lewis Pearson, Frank Pilkington, David Pilling, Jean Pilling, Neil Prestwich, Barbara St John, Sandra Simpson, Barbara Walton, Eric Walton and Ann White.

Apologies: Ann Corkin, David Corkin, Michael Dop, Diane Ewart-Jones, Stephen Glenholmes, Richard Green, Marie Hargreaves, Ken Iveson and Jim Riley.

1.        Opening Remarks – Apologies – Thanks

1.1 Karen welcomed those attending.

1.2 Apologies were taken.

2.        Minutes of Last Meeting, 10 October 2016

2.1 Lewis proposed and Bob seconded acceptance of the Minutes.

2.2 The Minutes were taken as a true record, nem.con.


3.        Matters Arising

3.7.8.1 Loveclough’s Identity, update: David H reported that anomalies having been ironed out, the Royal Mail had now asked for endorsements from parish councils (there are none), chambers of commerce (there are none) and from our MP: previous efforts to secure Jake Berry’s endorsement had met with a nil response; the Secretary would persist; Alyson suggested endorsement by the Community Association and the Revd Jenny Montgomery might be of help; it was AGREED David would send Alyson proposed drafts for each to consider and return; in the interim, he would try to secure the MP’s support; ACTION by the Secretary.

3.3.10.1 The Glory, update: David reported that, as directed by the previous meeting, he had written to the Planning Inspectorate in the form of a 6-page document; there was a wide-ranging discussion; whilst all appropriate actions had been taken, there persisted a mind-set amongst some that the rules simply don’t apply to them; monitoring the situation and acting on issues requiring action would continue.

3.8 Ladies’ Night, 28 October 2016 at The Village Centre, update: on a wet Friday night, attendance had been low when compared with previous such occasions; none the less, a surplus of £92.00 had been realised.

8 Proposal for convenience store at 801 Burnley Road, update:

8.1 Marian reported that 100 letters from residents had been rejected by council officers; she felt that the letter of rejection had been couched in terms which were incomprehensible to a lay person; a second attempt – signed by 75 residents – had been accepted; whereas the issue of licensing the premises would be heard on 29 November, objections to the submission to Planning for change of use had secured only 50 signatories; there was evidence of “objection fatigue” setting in; there was discussion.

8.2 Alyson pointed out that decisions could not be based on residents’ simply not wanting something; objections had to focus on relevant issues, such as young people creating nuisance; Marian said residents were unclear as to what was and what wasn’t relevant; Alyson encouraged residents to focus on the defined criteria, adding that it was fortunate that a hearing would deal with the licensing issue but planning was the key and on this residents had to dig in and make a coherent case.

8.3 In discussion, issues touching on a proposed off-licence included delivery vehicles parking, the complexities of the road junction, the proximity of a pedestrian refuge, double yellow lines, loading and unloading.

8.4 Alyson reiterated how years of past planning experience had been torn up by the previous government and replaced by a 50 page document in which planners were to become enablers, trying to facilitate plans; that being so, residents needed to put together a robust argument; RBC’s planners were bound to ask what might an empty building be used for.

8.5 There were two clear issues: (1) licensing; and (2) the future use of what is a big building, projected to become a convenience store with attendant issues of parking, deliveries et al; whereas the planners would talk to Highways (LCC), addressing issues might simply push any problem further down the Burnley Road; the installation of, say, railings might be proposed for which the applicant would be expected to pay.

4.        Reports

4.1      Chairman

4.1.1 Karen said that an approach for assistance received from Crawshawbooth Primary School would be discussed as Item 8, infra.

4.2      Secretary

4.2.1 David reported briefly on six items, some of which had already been covered: Loveclough’s Identity (Item 3.7.8.1, supra), The Glory (Item 3.3.10.1, supra), Ladies’ Night (Item 3.8, supra), liaison with Marian Bent (Item 3.8 , supra) which would proceed with a meeting later in the week, 2 Commercial Street (Item 7, infra) and the Limey Leader (Item 6, infra).

4.2.2 On the Limey Leader, David would welcome discussion on its future direction.

4.3      Treasurer/Chairman LVAA

4.3.1 Funds stood at £4,059.83; the total included £649.99 being held on behalf of (1) the footpaths grant secured by Bob, and (2) Goodshawfold Pride.

4.3.2 Darryl held in addition (1) £25.00 in loose cash, and (2) £92.00 being the proceeds from the Ladies’ Evening (Item 3.8, supra).

4.4      Footpaths Officer

4.4.1 Bob presented his periodic report, majoring on the footpath adjacent to St Mary’s church.

4.4.2 Following a show of hands to indicate those attending who used the path, Bob urged all to complete Evidence of Use forms and to return them to him as such evidence was vital in securing Modification Orders.

4.4.3 Lewis pointed out the need for the path to receive attention; Bob responded, saying that this was already in hand.

4.4.4 Bob’s report is shown in full as Annex 1.

4.5      Social Media & Liaison Officer

4.5.1 Facebook “likes” have risen from 592 to 606.

4.5.2 Popular items included Steve Counsell’s advertising the recent Bonfire (1,580), an interview with Edmund Dixon of the LVAA (223) and Steve Glenholmes’ prompt about rallying support for LVEG’s attempts to secure further funding (875).

4.5.3 In his liaison role, David had attended the Neighbourhood Forum on 20 October at which RBC’s informal consultations on Phase 2 of the re-development of the open space in the town centre had been a major item: this he had posted on Facebook.

4.5.5 A proposal from the previous meeting that the Neighbourhood Forum might contribute to signage (Item 5, infra) would have to await (1) an appropriate application, and (2) due consideration by the Forum which would meet next in February 2017.

4.5.6 Alyson asked that Phase 2 be put on the Agenda of the LVRA meeting scheduled for 9 January 2017 when she would be in a position to circulate paperwork; this was AGREED; ACTION by the Secretary.

4.6 LVEG

4.6.1 In Steve’s absence, there was no report.

5. Loveclough signage, update

5.1 Bob said that delivery of the stone was expected later in the week; a working party armed with picks and shovel would excavate a suitable trench; having been sent plaque templates, a decision would await the stone’s being put in place; a decision might usefully come to the December meeting.

5.2 In response to Eric who wondered why the trench hadn’t been dug first, Darryl said that excavation was better left until after the stone’s delivery, whereupon Bob Killeleas had offered gratis use of a crane to lower the stone onto a prepared gravel bed.

6. Limey Leader, October issue

6.1 David said that there had been a shortfall in quantum and that, as a result, not all households had received the magazine; there had been variations too in the use of both paper and card which meant that establishing quantum by weighing had been ineffective.

6.2 Given the reliance on advertising to bear the cost – and given Dave Hughes’ generosity in producing the Limey Leader at “mate’s rates” – what should be the future in an increasingly digitised age: there was a wide-ranging discussion.

6.3 David R speculated on conducting a poll via Facebook, issuing the Limey Leader only in digital format and on the potential for support from local businesses; Darryl pointed out that a 12-page issue could be financed by 5 one-quarter page advertisements, so an annual output of, say, four issues required only 20 advertisements; there was a need to be strategic in approaching advertisers; Alyson thought that any such survey would necessarily exclude those who were not web-connected and she outlined how RBC went through processes to prevent material being dropped through the letter box and going straight into the wastepaper basket; Darryl wondered about putting something catchy on the front page (thereby relegating the Chair’s remarks to inside the magazine); Ian B had encountered some who objected to the Limey Leader’s being delivered; Barbara liked the Limey Leader; Marian wondered about including quiz or crossword.

6.4 David thanked those who had contributed; for the moment, production of the Limey Leader would continue “as is” until there was a clear need for a change of direction.

7 Land behind 2 Commercial Street

7.1 An application had been submitted to RBC, asking that the plans previously submitted as Planning Application 2015/0053, be reviewed.

7.2 David said that LVRA had previously submitted observations on 18 March 2015; whilst some of those issues remained, the fact was that the site is brownfield and what was being sought was a review to which it would be difficult for the association to object.

7.3 It was AGREED that the Secretary respond in the terms outlined; ACTION by the Secretary.

8. Crawshawbooth Primary School landscaping project

8.1 Karen had received an email from Mark Wilkinson (Year 4 Teacher/GT Leader/Outdoor Leader) inviting help from members of LVRA with a landscaping project at the school.

8.2 There followed a discussion, principally between the Chair and Ann White; Darryl outlined why a proposal for the school to use a community plot at Badgercote Allotments had foundered because of logistical issues

8.3 Karen said that Mark had appeared content with her emailed response: further information would be available from the school after Christmas and so she expected matters to progress in the New Year; ACTION by Karen as and when.

9. Any Other Business

9.1 Local panning consultation: Alyson reiterated that the consultation was upcoming and she suggested the Secretary might contact Adrian Smith (Principal Planning Officer, RBC); this was AGREED; ACTION by David H.

10. Next Meetings and Close

10.1 Annual General Meeting: 16.00 hrs. on Sunday, 20 November 2016: Top Club.

10.2 Monthly meetings: 20.00 hrs. on Monday, 12 December 2016: Top Club.
20.00 hrs. on Monday, 9 January 2017: Top Club

10.3 The meeting concluded at 21.11 hrs..

Annex 1 Footpaths Officer’s Report

My report to the meeting tonight contains just one topic. In the last edition of the Limey Leader I asked if anyone had used the track at the side of St Mary’s Church at Goodshaw – and to date I have had 3 replies. This is not a significant number but when I first mentioned the Footpath No. 4 in Loveclough Fold the response was zero. But eventually, with an awful amount of dogged determination, I received 81 Evidence Of Use On Foot documents to support that modification order. It is possibly going to be a long process with the path at Goodshaw but I have started on this matter and will press on. I cannot stress enough just how important the Evidence Of Use On Foot documents are as they are central to any modification order submission. I will shortly be posting notices on the path to encourage anyone who uses or has used the path to get in touch.

49 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.